6 December 2007

Saint Nick was here!


Saint Nick dropped by last night and gave me lots of sweets!
It was my first time celebrating the Saint Nicholas Day in Croatia. As you may know, there is really a Saint Nicholas though that was how the Santa Claus came about. I was told to clean my boot and put it near the window last night. If I was a good girl, I will get candies. If not, I will get a twig (to spank me with). Hahah... I got a really confused St Nick. He gave me both! See picture enclosed.
Did a little background search on this festival and how it is celebrated in Croatia. Sveti Nikola as he is known here will drop by your house on Saint Nicholas Day (Nikolinje), 6th December. Good children get gifts. Bad children get a visit from Krampus who leaves a rod (which resembles a broom) for their parents to spank them. I have included a link about the Legend of Saint Nicholas.
Waiting for Christmas has never been so fun in Singapore. It has become a time when we spend lots of money to give presents to children even if you do not celebrate the festival. Most of our families will have christmas trees just to join in the celebration. I don't even understand the meaning of all these anymore. In Singapore, we celebrate all kinds of festival to promote racial harmony. That's what we are. Festivals are a time to be merry. Don't bother too much about the reason for the celebration. Merchants are just too happy to have another opportunity to earn big bucks.
I'm happy the way it is now. Thank you St Nicholas!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the fact that you shared the backstory of St. Nicholas as it is celebrated where you live. Great idea!

Anonymous said...

I think it's great that you shared the backstory of St Nicholas as it is celebrated where you live!

SheR. said...

Hi! Thanks for dropping by to read a story about my life. Merry X'mas!