20 January 2009

My thoughts about President Obama

Just my few kunas' worth about this new President of USA (or SAD as it is known in Croatia) that has shook the world with his landslide win in the Elections. I'm usually not too bothered about politics but this worldwide phenomenon "The First Black President of USA" has affected Croatia too. Although my grasp of the language is still not there, I can still make out the meanings of headlines in the local newspapers.

Someone asked, "Can there be a Obama in Croatia?" My first thought is "No." I think many would agree with me if they throw away all the nationalistic thoughts for the country and really take a good look at what's going on around the world.

Let me explain myself, not that I'm being cynical (as I always am) but if one has lived in this country long enough (and you are not White), you'll understand what I mean. Not that there are no Blacks in Croatia (erm.. not many) or "coloured" people like me, but the overwhelming thoughts that most Croatians do not welcome foreigners (gathering my daily observations in my "village") and let alone anybody that look distinctly different ... in skin colour.

I recall hearing someone when he saw a group of tourists "Oh look at those Blacks!". Hm.. How on earth do you interpret that statement? Mind you, at that very moment, there were lots of other tourists on the road. Why the need to single out any particular group?

Living with a skin colour that is opposedly "different" also brought about a lot of opposition from the older generation here. No, you are not allowed to date a Black. It's humiliating and your parents will be the joke of the town. You'll be the constant scrutiny of family members and friends who pop by your place. I was lucky I'm not any darker (I was told) as I could pass off as a local with sunglasses. Oh well.. thanks for the tip!

Perhaps you can see my point now. I really hope foreign influence get stronger in this country and people open up their hearts to welcome "us". Till then, I'm just another non-white foreigner living in this country waiting to watch the inauguration of the First Black President of USA.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally understand what you're saying. I'm Croatian and I myself don't understand this mentality.
Maybe it is because I have moved around a lot and have been exposed to various cultures.
I also would like a lot more foreign influence in Croatia. By "foreign influence" I mean more variety in the make up of the country.

SheR. said...

Thanks Bowets.
Great to know someone else share the same opinion. I'm glad my fiance is pretty much like me too!

We'll wait and see what will happen when the EU comes into this country!