17 November 2007

Rethinking the concept of caffe



It's been quite a while since I'm here. It became a habit for us to go for coffee once a day or sometimes a couple of times. Mates will ring us up and we will meet them at blah blah caffe bar. I always felt strange stepping into a caffe. Not that it is something new to me as we have plenty in Singapore. It just occurred to me the reason for the weird feeling while sitting in one earlier . We met up with a mate who lives across the street and went to our usual caffe bar. I thought the concept of not serving any food at a caffe bar is a little unusual for european caffes but what really intrigued me are the customers. In Singapore, you wouldn't find big burly men (not that we don't have fat men) sitting around a table in a caffe. Caffe is a rather western idea to us. If 3 men wanted to meet for a chat, they would head for a coffee shop in Singapore. Caffes are reserved for couples or students. Well..guess we have to change our attitudes and do what the Romans do. Besides, I love the the coffee here!

No comments: