23 March 2008

Croatia's fishes

Do you know that Croatia is a major exporter of Bluefin tuna to Japan? Bluefin Tuna is one of the most highly priced fish in Japan. This ends up at Sashimi on many Japanese restaurants worldwide.
I didn't have a chance to taste this famous fish. But I did have a chance to taste its cousins, Palamida (Atlantic Bonito) a couple of times. The raw meat is a pretty pale pink in colour. And while cooking, it does not turn your kitchen into a fishy hell. Its meat is so sweet but has slight resemblance to Tuna.
Recently Croatia's protected fishing zone (ZERP) has been abandoned to gain acceptance into EU. ZERP was initially introduced to protect overfishing in Croatia's Adriatic Sea. Now it's gone. I wonder how long I can enjoy even Palamida.

2 comments:

Mrs. Donaghy, I Presume... said...

You went from Singapore to Croatia?? What brought you to Croatia?

I will look at your blog if you look at mine!!

SheR. said...

;) Love is a strange thing.
I did check out your blog! Nice!