3 June 2008

Croatia - my new home for 9 months



How should I introduce Croatia to everyone reading my Blog for the first time or repeat visitors? I should introduce a typical day in Croatia.

Most of the Croatians start work really early each morning. From as early as 730am and finish work at 330pm or later. Nope, unfortunately most of them do not have the luxury of the so called "Lunch Breaks" in this country. Probably not even heard of. Some companies might have a "Breakfast Break" while most of the rest just hang in there till after work.

What is the most common sight in Croatia? Mass of people sitting in caffee bars. Yeap, every caffee has a liqueur license so they carry a wide range of alcoholic drinks. From the Croatian's favourite Rakija to Beers. Expect small cups of coffee served very Italian espresso style. For your more familiar Starbucks coffee, ask for Nescafe in a mug. With the coming hot summer, more Croats will be lazing around in these caffee bars whole day as these outlets open as early as 7am and shut at 12 midnight. No food is served. Sorry. You have to head to the nearest fast food outlet (McDonald's is a rare sight) or pizza cut.

Not many dine out at restaurants. So it's usually reserved for foreigners or big groups. The prices of a typical meal in Croatian restaurant can set you back a hefty SGD60 each. So Croats pretty much prefer their mums' homecooked.

Beaches are only littered with sunbathers around this time of the year. Most Croats can sit and tan for hours in the sun. A common European sight I suppose?


What do the youngsters in Croatia do? They attend schools. Hang out in the centre of town after school. Unlike in Singapore, school children do not frequent caffees. They just hang out elsewhere and play instead of sitting and lazing in caffees which is an activity reserved for the unemployed and pensioners.

So as you can pretty much figure out at this point that the whole Croatian culture is really laid-back. There is never hurry to finish the road works that they started. No hurrying to another tuition centre. No rushing for appointments. Everyone is chill and relaxed. Ah.. moj život (my life)!

5 comments:

Tinggay said...

It seems so peaceful, Sher.
It sounds perfect.

SheR. said...

:) It'll only be perfect if the politicians are not corrupt. Guess you can't have everything in every country.

Anonymous said...

LOL... i was in Singpore with my family last month for couple of days. Yep, lotsa teenagers @ malls & café and since it was Grand Shopping Carnival which I didn't knew, omg... it was so crowded at certain shopping malls that i had to put back all the items i picked back on their shelves!

Unlike in Croatia and other EU countries, most teenagers spent their holidays and off school hours at parks or travelling with their parents abroad. If not enjoying the local culture and heritage.

You're lucky to have the opportunity to do so. I hope you will post more infos and pictures of Croatia.

pixen

Anonymous said...

btw, politic always corrupted... no matter where you are or how advanced or undeveloped the countries were. It's part of the system created by humans... :-( As citizens or immigrants of the country, you just live the best you could and grateful that you're safe and able to enjoy all the wonderful mother nature gives... :-)

cheers

SheR. said...

Hi Hi Pixen!!!!
Thanks for visiting my humble blog.
Yes.. you went to Singapore during the Great Singapore Sale I suppose.. I hate those sales... too crowded and gave me headaches. I'm not a person who likes to go for branded stuff so it doesn't bother me too much if anything's on sale or not.

I would share more of Croatia on my blog. It's a pleasure!

Yeah.. politics in every country is a pain. I'm not bothered as long as I'm here with my fiance :)

I love the nature here and the abundance of it!